[RASMB] Origin software and vbar / Equilibrium data

Leech, AP apl3 at york.ac.uk
Wed May 4 15:24:01 PDT 2005

John Correia wrote:

> This may seem to be an odd question, but why are you using the Beckman
> Origin software?  Depending upon your guru (Schuck & sedfit or Stafford
> & SEDANAL or Demeler & Ultrascan or ... ) there are incredible packages
> being developed out there - & they all work when applied to appropriate
> systems - we use a combination of c(s) g(s) to establish a hypothesis,
> maybe some weight average fitting to explore energetics, and then global
> direct boundary fitting to hetero models with SEDANAL as the final step!
>  I realize Beckman is trying to make it uniform & simple, but with the
> versatility, power and elegance of these new analysis methods, why would
> you settle for simple?

Hello Jack, hello all,

I don't use the Beckman software for velocity data, but for equilibrium
it is reasonably quick and convenient, and it produces acceptable graphs
for reports etc; I know there are some good packages out there (Seagal,
Mixedfit...) and I should spend more time getting familiar with them!
but the Origin macros do bring a lot of useful stuff together (eg the data
simulator). However, the problems John McGeehan described do rather
worry me, lest they betoken more subtle faults which might not surface
before embarrassment has been caused.

Perhaps it's time for a thread on favourite software for equilibrium data
analysis?

Andrew

--
Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Laboratory Manager
Technology Facility               *  Molecular Interactions Laboratory
PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk