[RASMB] Death of Geoffrey Gilbert

brass at uconnvm.uconn.edu brass at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Wed Mar 2 10:50:00 PST 2005

I regret to inform you of the death yesterday, of another giant of the
analytical ultracentrifugation world, Geoffrey Gilbert, in Birmingham
England, after a long illness.   He was particularly known for his
development of transport theory for interacting systems in sedimentation
velocity studies (“Gilbert theory”).   He concluded that, rapidly-reversible
associating systems produced  “interaction boundaries” which could
reveal much about the stoichiometry and association constant of the
system.   A man of rare intelligence and brilliant dry humor, he was my
post-doctoral advisor, and friend.  I will miss him.    Emory H. Braswell