[RASMB] Procedures for Cleaning Ultracentrifuge Cells

rkroe at rdg.boehringer-ingelheim.com rkroe at rdg.boehringer-ingelheim.com
Wed Feb 23 12:34:01 PST 2005

Here is the general method that we use in Tom's lab:

To Clean AUC Cells:

1.      Remove housing plugs and red plug gaskets.

2.      Remove the solution from each side of the centerpiece using a
pipette and gel tips.

3.      Loosen the screw ring from the cell housing using the torque stand.

4.      Manually finish unscrewing the screw ring and remove the underlying
screw ring gasket.

5.      Turn cell housing upside down and push out the window holders and
centerpiece gently using a kim-wipe.

6.      Remove the windows, window liners, and window gaskets from the
window holders.

7.      Wipe the window liners, window gaskets, and window holders with
kim-wipes.  If any are excessively wet, rinse with water/5%
contrad/water/ethanol and dry.

8.      Wash the centerpieces and windows:

a.       Rinse with water.

b.      Rinse with 5-10% Contrad70 or RBS and either rub manually or use a
Q-tip to remove all protein residues from the windows and centerpieces.

c.       Rinse again with dionized water to remove all Contrad.

d.      Rinse with ethanol.

e.       Dry with Nitrogen.

When working with RNA do all of the above followed by (Carrie May's Method):

f.        Soak windows and centerpieces in RNAseZAP (Ambion cat# 9780.9782)
for 2 mins

g.       Rinse with DEPC treated water for 2 mins

h.       Rinse with ethanol for 2 mins

i.         Dry of nitrogen or let air dry on bench