[RASMB] higher Mw limit of analytical ultracentrifugation

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Wed Jun 30 13:35:01 PDT 2004

Hi Joris,
we've had a similar problem recently, binding of a 24 kDa protein to a ~
MDa complex (heterogeneous mixture of big stuff, actually).  Our question
was the stoichiometry of binding.  We did a sedimentation velocity run and
looked at the changes of the s-value of the big complex.  That worked very
well, because there were many sites and we saw a significant shift.  If it
would have been a 1:1 binding between the small protein and the big
complex, the sedimentation velocity probably would not have worked unless
you could specifically detect the small protein.

However, there are other approaches that might work well.  I haven't done
that, but would expect it should work well:  In principle if you use a
rather low rotor speed, you have a problem similar to that of small
molecule (few hundred Dalton) to ordinary sized proteins.   (Probably one
should use not too long solution columns and give it a few days to reach
equilibrium. )  I would try sedimentation equilibrium with mass
conservation constraints, or multi-wavelength detection if you can put a
chromophoric label on the smaller protein.  Basically, what one would
detect is not the change in mass of the complex (that's unlikely to be
possible), but the loss of free concentration of the small protein.

Michelle Arkin and Jim Lear have described some techniques for that recently
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11726190
and, some equilibrium analysis models with mass conservation are
implemented in SEDPHAT.

Peter