[RASMB] higher Mw limit of analytical ultracentrifugation

Joris Beld beld at org.chem.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 30 10:58:01 PDT 2004

Dear all,

One of my colleagues asked me to measure a rather heavy multimer-protein
complex and I was wondering what the higher molecular weight limit of an
XL-A analytical ultracentrifuge is. I found in some literature that 1.0 MDa
is considered the maximum. My particular protein-multimer has a Mw around
1.3 MDa and forms a complex with a protein of 30 kDa. Can one see the
equilibrium (or just association) of the small protein with the big protein
multimer? Can one distinguish the small protein and the multimer? If someone
has some information on this, I would appreciate any help since I'm pretty
new at analytical ultracentrifugation.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Joris Beld

(btw, thank you all for the comments on the torque wrench spare part;
unluckily I already ordered one from Beckman (400$); but next time we'll try
to get the mechanical workshop to make one from a saw blade)

--
Joris Beld
Laboratory of Organic Chemistry
beld at org.chem.ethz.ch