[RASMB] higher Mw limit of analytical ultracentrifugation

Jacob Lebowitz lebowitz at helix.nih.gov
Wed Jun 30 21:25:00 PDT 2004

Joris,

Another possibility for detecting the binding of the 30 kDa protein to the
large multimer-protein is to monitor the decrease in absorbance of the
small protein caused by the binding to the large protein using
sedimentation velocity. The larger protein would sediment rapidly away from
the 30 kDa protein and binding would decrease  the absorbance from the
initial loading value of the 30 kDa protein. I remember a Biochemistry
paper by Rezvin (I am almost sure, perhaps someone else can help)
  in the late 1980s that measured the association constant of core RNA
polymerase to very large DNA using this approach.  By titrating in
different amounts of the smaller component and measuring the amount bound
by the decrease in absorbance and hence the concentration of free protein
ligand Rezvin could obtain Scatchard plots.

Jack Lebowitz