[RASMB] Chervenka centrepiece

Jacob Lebowitz lebowitz at helix.nih.gov
Thu Jul 17 14:40:01 PDT 2003

Yes the Chervenka (Griffiith see below) centerpiece was designed to achieve
rapid equilibrium. I sent the following message yesterday but the CC to go
to the entire RASMB list did not work.

Dear Tom, Iris and all RASMBers

Re Tom Laue's recent email, we did work on the "rapid equilibrium layering
centerpiece" in 1970. Around 1996 I thought it might be worth pursuing a
new layering centerpiece with more filling holes and I probably discussed
this with Tom. I suspect that Tom recalls this as being not too long ago.
My response re our work was to Iris only. However, Since there have been a
number of responses re the 3 well layering centerpiece I provide the
message to Iris below to those that may have an interest in the layering
cell.  New fabrication of layering centerpieces and testing never took off
since my other projects were of much higher priority.

Jack

Iris,

Many ages ago I was very impressed with using the Nazarian form of the sed.
equil. equation and the layering rapid equilibrium centerpiece and decided
to test both out with a number of proteins. Actually the Centerpiece was
designed by Owen Griffith. The paper we published is DiCammelli, R.F., P.D.
Holohan, S.F. Basinger and J. Lebowitz.  1970. Molecular weight
determinations by low-speed sedimentation equilibrium.  A combined use of
the Nazarian equation and the Griffith rapid equilibrium technique.  Anal.
Biochem.,36:470-494. I believe that we had a figure in the paper of the
centerpiece and of course references to the original publication, Chervenka
or Griffith? I think our paper will help you out a lot.