[RASMB] Light Scattering and Long Rods

Fumio Arisaka farisaka at bio.titech.ac.jp
Fri Nov 9 22:23:01 PST 2001

Dear Peter,

In a paper by Albrecht Wegner in J.M.B. 108:139-150 (1976) which deals with
Head to Tail Polymerization of Actin, he referred to Casassa,E.F. J.Chem.Phys,
23:596-597 (1955) and Wegner,A. & Engel,J., Biophys.Chem. 3:215-225 (1975)
for R = const. x cw.

Best wishes,  Fumio

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>It is my recollection (from microtubule work) that the turbidity from a
>solution of long rods is simply proportional to the total number of
>subunits in those rods, and does not depend on the distribution of
>lengths. Is this in fact the case? In what length/wavelength regime? Can
>someone point me to a reference.  Thanks
>
>Peter

Fumio Arisaka, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular and Cellular Assembly
Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology
Tokyo Institute of Technology
5249 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku
Yokohama 226-8501  JAPAN
Tel/Fax:+81-45-924-5713
E-mail: farisaka at bio.titech.ac.jp
URL  http://www.farisaka.bio.titech.ac.jp/ (Server has been changed.)
      Keihanna International Conference on Molecular Biophysics
    http://www.farisaka.bio.titech.ac.jp/keihanna/keihanna2001e.html
(Server has been changed.)