[RASMB] Light Scattering and Long Rods

John Correia jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
Fri Nov 9 11:10:01 PST 2001

Peter

There is a discussion in a review Robley & I wrote in Ann Rev Biophys Bioeng 1983, 12: 211-35 of the relevant features - see top of page 218.  The rule of thumb is MT's above 1 um scatter light proportionally to there mass & thus subunit #, but structural transitions to & from sheets (Detrich et al 1985 JBC 260: 9479; Vulevic & Correia 1997 Biophys J  72: 1357), & the wavelength dependence of scattering (Camerini-Otero & Day 1978 Biopolymers 17: 2241) makes it more complicated.

The original ref is Berne 1974 J. Mol Biol 89: 756.

 Dr. John J. "Jack" Correia
 Department of Biochemistry
 University of Mississippi Medical Center
 2500 North State Street
 Jackson, MS  39216
 (601) 984-1522
 fax (601) 984-1501
 email address: jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
 homepage location: http://www2.umsmed.edu/dept/biochemistry/correia.html
 dept homepage location:    http://www2.umsmed.edu/dept/biochemistry/biochem1.html

>>> Peter Prevelige <prevelig at uab.edu> 11/09/01 08:59AM >>>
The older archived RASMB emails can be found at:
http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_archives
and current archives at
http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/pipermail/rasmb/
Search All the Archives at:
http://rasmb-email.bbri.org/rasmb_search.html

It is my recollection (from microtubule work) that the turbidity from
a solution of long rods is simply proportional to the total number of
subunits in those rods, and does not depend on the distribution of
lengths. Is this in fact the case? In what length/wavelength regime?
Can someone point me to a reference.  Thanks

Peter
--
Peter E. Prevelige Jr.
Associate Professor