[RASMB] raptor problems

Michael Bovee mbovee at zoo.uvm.edu
Fri Nov 9 14:01:00 PST 2001

Hi RASMBers,

We recently set up a new IBM PC with large hard drive capacity to run
our XL-I.  It came preconfigured with Windows 2000, which we wanted
no part of, so we installed Win98 on it instead.  (the old computer
setup was Win95, but for a number of reasons we wanted to update to
Win98, and initially our rep didn't seem to caution about any
problems with that.)

Well, we seem to have all the newest from Beckman (software p4.5b)
but now we cannot launch the software without crashing the raptor
fringe display.  Closer inspection reveals at least 2 versions of
raptor, and previously I guess we were using Raptor95.  By separately
launching a different version (just plain Raptor) first and then
launching the data acqusition application, we seem to have a tenuous
workaround that allows us to collect data again, but it crashed part
way through one user's run last nite.

I'm looking for a better solution from other Win98 users.  Eproms and
all physical connections have been double checked for proper
connections, etc. and the setup seemed to be working correctly the
first time it was launched to check things out, but now...

Kind Regards,
--Michael
--
Michael L. Bovee, Ph.D.