[RASMB] [EXTERNAL]Re: Ken van Holde

John J. Correia jcorreia at umc.edu
Mon Nov 11 10:04:06 PST 2019

I first met Ken while a student with Dave Yphantis. We were doing velocity simulations that eventually contributed to vanHolde Weischet analysis. I was unfortunately too late to the lab to take the Woodshole Physiology course with Dave & Ken. Since I started teaching my own Physical Biochemistry course – named after Ken’s book – I have managed to use his take on noideality, the derivation of the Donnan effect, and his derivation of MWC. I consider these all rites of passage. It is of great amusement to me that my histones friends all think of Ken with great fondness and amazement for his Chromatin book (see Ken's own memory in a 2008 JBC 283, 4461 perspective). Some also remember his hemocyanin work. It is truly amazing how we are influenced by others! The last time I spoke to Ken was at the San Antonio AUC meeting in 2012 - Ken was the Keynote. He was writing a new book!