[RASMB] Ken van Holde

De La Cruz, Enrique enrique.delacruz at yale.edu
Mon Nov 11 08:39:11 PST 2019

All,

These messages have made me feel considerably better, given our loss, and thought I would briefly share my memory as well.

I was not formally trained by Ken, though I learned a great deal from him and his writings (papers and textbooks).  I was exposed to Physical Biochemistry as an undergraduate at Rutgers-Newark (the white cover) and still turn to it, though it is the purple, expanded one I prefer these days.  As a first-year graduate student, I invited Ken to give our annual student invited lecture.  This was 1994, so the early days of email, but I maintained a sporadic but constant email correspondence with Ken since then.  He was such a mentor – genuinely concerned for my well-being, success and happiness as a scientist.  He would write to just check in and he helped me navigate through challenging times, for sure.  As PI, I have had the privilege of visiting U. Oregon in Eugene more than once.  On all occasions, I requested to my host to let Ken know I would be in town… and he came down every time (!) for seminar and dinner.  It was a true highlight for me.  I visited OSU just a few months ago, and though I requested to see Ken, he was unavailable.  I managed to communicate a few words about Ken and that entire department before my seminar that I hope fueled the younger students in the audience.

We have been fortunate to have him.  :-)

Enrique
Enrique M. De La Cruz
Yale University
Professor of Molecular Biophysics & Biochemistry
Head of Branford College
[cid:image001.png at 01D36DE7.28E6BE80]