[RASMB] New version of SEDNTERP

jphilo at mailway.com jphilo at mailway.com
Thu Nov 7 12:26:58 PST 2019

I am releasing a new version of SEDNTERP. This release is intended as an
interim fix to the current dilemma: SEDNTERP version 2 from Univ. New
Hampshire was never really finished, and many labs consider it too buggy to
rely on, and thus have continued to use the old SEDNTERP version 1.09 (the
last release of version 1). However, SEDNTERP version 1.09 is a 16-bit
program using mid-1990's technology and it will not run under Windows 10.

This new version is a re-do of SEDNTERP version 1.09 (with the old user
interface). I have ported the version 1.09 code to a newer 32-bit compiler,
while trying to minimize code changes to avoid introducing new bugs. To
avoid confusion with UNH version 2, and to allow this version to be
installed in parallel with version 2 and/or version 1.09, I am calling this
new version "SEDNTERP 1" version 1.10. The installer can be downloaded from
http://www.jphilo.mailway.com/download.htm This version will run under
Windows versions from Win 10 back to XP.

For those labs that have been using the UNH SEDNTERP 2 beta, note that
unfortunately this new version cannot use the database file format employed
by version 2. (Perhaps in the future it will be possible to either convert
those databases or read them directly, but no promises.)

In order to make this version run under Windows 10 it was also necessary to
re-make the Help file (user manual) in the newer HTML Help format. I have
extensively re-organized and edited the Help file, added images of the forms
and dialog boxes, and added material and references to cover some features
that had never been described.

This new version also corrects a minor (and quite subtle) bug that David
Hayes recently uncovered, one which actually was present in versions
1.00-1.09. This bug arose only when SV experiments were run at temperatures
other than 20 degrees, and involved failing to temperature-correct the vbar
value used in calculating f/f0 ratios (as displayed on the Results page).
This bug however would normally cause errors of <= 1% in the f/f0 ratio,
which is negligible compared to the effects of the uncertainty in vbar
and/or the sedimentation coefficient.

This version does have a few improvements over version 1.09:

*	All the forms and dialog boxes are re-sizable. The font scaling
isn't perfect as you resize, but it works pretty well. There is also now a
new default setting that can scale them all up (e.g. if you have a really
high-resolution screen and thus the default size in pixels is just too small
to read).
*	Just about all the controls now show tool tips when you hover over
them with the mouse.
*	I added a new calculator that computes the diffusion coefficient
from the molar mass and sedimentation coefficient (or the molar mass when
both s and D are known). This is essentially the same calculator that is
present in DCDT+ and SVEDBERG.

Please let me know if you find any bugs or have installation issues.

Lastly I should say explicitly that updating SEDNTERP 1 does not mean that
SEDNTERP 2 is dead. It is still our hope that the money and resources to
complete that development can be found.

Best regards,

John