[RASMB] Organic solvents in velocity runs

John Sumida jpsumida at uw.edu
Tue Jan 16 12:34:34 PST 2018

Dear RASMB,

I've been reviewing some posts on the list regarding the use of various
organic solvents in the AUC.  Most of the posts appear to refer specifically
to equilibrium experiments as opposed to velocity experiments, some posts
recommend the Kel-F centerpieces over the Charcoal-epon, some cite a small
explosion hazard in the use of flammable organics.

As there appears to be a wide variation in the posted recommendations I
would like to ask two questions:

1.       Can the vacuum be exhausted into a fume hood in the case of an
instrument with a turbo-molecular pump.

2.       Since many organic solvents are compressible (ie. chloroform,
dichloromethane, toluene) and can thus generate a density difference in the
cell, how does one account for these affects in a velocity experiment.

As these questions are broad and I know your time is precious, any pertinent
literature references that list members might point me at would be very
helpful to me.  Additionally any operational/safety concerns list members
might have compiled from experience working in non-aqueous solvents would
also be appreciated.

Best regards and thank you for your kind attention.

John Sumida

Molecular Analysis Facility

University of Washington