[RASMB] AUC 2017 - registration deadline extended, travel bursaries available

Olwyn Byron Olwyn.Byron at glasgow.ac.uk
Thu May 18 05:49:08 PDT 2017

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy to advise an extension of the registration deadline for  AUC 2017<http://auc2017.uthscsa.edu/>, the 23rd AUC Workshop and Symposium, to be held at the University of Glasgow<http://www.gla.ac.uk/> from 23-28 July, 2017, as a satellite to the 19th International Union of Pure and Applied Biophysics (IUPAB) and 11th European Biophysical Societies' Association (EBSA) congress<http://www.iupab2017.org/home>.  We are happy to accept further registrations until 16 June (this includes poster and oral presentation abstract submission, see below).
As usual, the format of the event is a 2.5-day workshop<http://auc2017.uthscsa.edu/workshops.php> offering parallel, hands-on training in experimental design and the latest AUC data analysis software from the world experts in this area followed by a 2.5-day research symposium<http://auc2017.uthscsa.edu/symposium.php> on AUC and complementary approaches: methodological development, combination with orthogonal techniques (SAXS, SANS, SPR, MST, SEC-MALLS etc), application in biosciences and material sciences.
A social event is scheduled between the Workshop and Symposium.  And the conference dinner will include a cèilidh!
Glasgow is 75 km from Edinburgh.  The travel time between the two cities is approximately 45 minutes, via a frequent (every 15 minutes) train service.  Glasgow itself is served by Glasgow airport<http://www.glasgowairport.com/> (7 miles from the University) offering direct flight connections to all major European hubs, plus North America and the Middle East.  The city can be reached by train<https://www.thetrainline.com/> with intercity links to all major UK cities (e.g. London (4.5 hours)).  The University of Glasgow is 10 minutes from the city centre by underground train or bus.
Here is some more information about the meeting that was just sent out to registered participants:
Conference venue
AUC 2017 will take place on the Gilmorehill campus of the University of Glasgow (http://www.gla.ac.uk/about/maps/).  We will mostly be located in the beautiful Gilbert Scott building.

Accommodation
The AUC 2017 website (http://auc2017.uthscsa.edu/index.php) has been updated to direct participants to 4 accommodation providers, all within easy walking distance of the conference venue.  Please do go ahead and book your accommodation, if you have yet to do so.  As well as University en suite accommodation (at Kelvinhaugh Gate, £48 per single room/per night), we have negotiated preferential rates for a limited number of rooms in the Lorne Hotel (£85 per person, per night including breakfast or £95 for 2 people sharing), the Devoncove Hotel (£71 per person, per night including breakfast or £95 for 2 people sharing) and the Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor (£124 per person, per night including breakfast).  Please let me know by email if you have booked into any of these hotels before the announcement of these preferential rates and I will liaise with the hotel to ensure that you do benefit from these rates.  let me know if you need any other assistance with accommodation.

Registration payment
I am awaiting some bureaucratic progress from the University of Glasgow before AUC 2017 can start accepting registration payments.  So, please be patient and save your registration fees.  I will advise participants when the website is ready to accept payments.

Deadlines
We've just passed the Oral Presentation Abstract Deadline (April 30), the deadline to Register Interest for Submission to Proceedings (April 30) and the Registration Deadline (May 15), but we are extending these deadlines, predictably.  So please do go ahead and submit abstracts and register interests.  The SOC will be looking at abstracts soon and speakers will be invited as soon after that as possible.

Travel bursaries
AUC 2017 is able to award 4 travel bursaries, each worth £500, on behalf of EBSA, to individual young scientists to participate in the workshop and/or symposium.  Please consult the Travel Grants section of the AUC 2017 website for more details.

Workshops
The current workshop schedule is given here: http://auc2017.uthscsa.edu/workshops.php.  There will also be workshops from John Philo - these were absent from the initial listing because of an error on my part - apologies everyone (especially John!).  We will announce when these workshops are available for registration and if you wish to change your workshop attendance profile, after logging in, click on "Edit Participant info" and change your workshop registration choices.  Could we ask workshop registrants to make sure you have not registered for more than one workshop held at the same time (i.e., do not register for parallel sessions!!).  Thanks.
We look forward to welcoming you (back) to Glasgow this summer!
Olwyn Byron, Chair AUC 2017
On behalf of the AUC 2017 Scientific Organising Committee
olwyn.byron at glasgow.ac.uk<mailto:olwyn.byron at glasgow.ac.uk?subject=AUC%202017>
http://auc2017.uthscsa.edu/
Olwyn Byron, PhD

Professor of Biophysics

School of Life Sciences
College of Medical, Veterinary & Life Sciences
Sir Graeme Davies Building, University of Glasgow
120 University Place, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK

+44 (0)141 330 3752 or +44 (0)7545 766462
olwyn.byron at glasgow.ac.uk<mailto:olwyn.byron at glasgow.ac.uk>
http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/lifesciences/staff/olwynbyron/

@AUC2017

[cid:E57D7F13-C3A1-4783-8ABB-D5FA3B6EDA64]