[RASMB] concentration range for non-ideal behavior

Allen Minton minton at helix.nih.gov
Fri Jan 23 09:00:14 PST 2015

John -

Nonideal behavior is due to nonspecific
interactions between solute molecules that may be
weak on a pairwise basis, but become significant
with increasing solute concentration.  These
interactions may be either repulsive or
attractive and depend upon a variety of factors,
including pH, ionic strength, and temperature.  I
am attaching a paper with a very simplified
analysis of the pH-dependent nonideal behavior of
bovine serum albumin.  The bottom line is that
there can be no "general rule" for a
concentration below which nonideal behavior is
negligible.  Under some conditions a solution may
behave almost ideally up to quite high
concentration, and under other conditions
nonideal behavior will kick in at low
concentrations.  You can see this in Fig 1 of the
attached article.  Depending upon pH and the
concentration and type of counterions, a large
polyanion like DNA can behave nonideally at concentrations below 0.1 mg/ml.  .

Allen Minton