[RASMB] concentration range for non-ideal behavior

John Sumida jpsumida at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 22 12:02:55 PST 2015

Dear RASMB,

David and all who have responded, thank you for your comments. I think in the aggregate of comments received I have my answer and more questions.

In the range of concentrations measured 0.2 – 4.9mgs/ml the slope of the experimental s with concentration is negative but only slightly so (slope=-0.033 s/c, where c is the mass concentration g/cc).  The extrapolated s at 0mgs/ml is 6.88, given the information received in these posts I think that at 4.2 mgs/ml I ought to expect a ~4.4% decrease in s due solely to excluded volume effects.  If so the expected s-exp at 4.9mgs/ml ought to be 6.58. What is actually observed is a value of 6.72s.  So I think what David and others have suggested is probably accurate, namely that self-association is offsetting the non-ideality here.

This raises some questions perhaps that would be good to test.  I can’t shut off self-association but perhaps one could slow it down by reducing the temperature from 20C to 4C? I think excluded volume is only weakly dependent on temperature and self-association more strongly dependent on temperature?

Interestingly, the sw vs conc relationship changes as a  function of buffer, whereas the slope of relationship is only weakly negative in HEPES (0.01M HEPES, 150mM NaCl, pH7.5) in PBS (0.137M NaCl) it is strongly positive.

Once again thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Best regards,

John Sumida

University of Washington