[RASMB] Reproducibility in densitometry measurement

Mattia Rocco mattia.rocco at hsanmartino.it
Wed Oct 1 02:32:06 PDT 2014

Dear John,

I fully second what Holger says about the concentration range. Apologies if
I'm going to say something trivial, but if total sample availability is
low, but you have enough for an initial point at relatively high
concentration (say around 2 mg/ml at least), then you can, by carefully
removing it from the U-tube and centrifuging it to remove potential
aggregates formed, prepare a second sample by dilution with the
equilibrated dialysis buffer, and so on.

About determining the concentration, I agree with John Philo. If you know
the carbohydrate content with sufficiently high confidence (type & number
of any carbohydrate moiety), then you can use the PROMOLP software we have
developed (Spotorno et al., Eur. Biophys J. 25, 373-384, 1997) to compute
an extinction coefficient that will be way better than any RI measurement
(the calculation of dn/dc from composition is notorious for being quite
unreliable...). PROMOLP accepts as input the protein aa sequence (either
manually or from a file in the old swissprot format), and then you can
manually input all the carbohydrates types & numbers. If you are
interested, I can immediately send to you the Windows version.

All the best - Mattia
At 11:40 AM 9/30/2014 -0700, John Sumida wrote:

>Dear John,
>

>Thank you for your response and suggestions.  We will try to work at
>higher protein concentration, though we are somewhat sample limited.
>

>Since you raise the question of knowing dn/dc and since the protein is
>glycosylated, for us knowing the correct value for dn/dc is a problem. A
>colleague of mine and I thought about comparing the interference
>determination of the synthetic boundary with the absorbance signal
>obtained in the same experiment.  I have an extinction coefficient
>determined for the sequence composition (as per Gill et al. Analytical
>Biochem 1989) so we could determine the protein concentration (O.D. <
>1.00).  I could also assume that the protein portion of dn/dc = 0.187, and
>that portion corresponding to sugar was 0.146, (which I understand to be
>the value for dextran).
>

>Since the interference measurement will be sensitive to glycosylation
>whereas the absorption is not, I should be able to estimate a value for
>dn/dc that better reflects the degree of glycosylation by determining the
>relative contribution of the sugar component to dn/dc?
>

>Thanks again for your time in considering my question and your willingness
>to share your knowledge on RASMB.
>

>Best regards,
>
>John Sumida
>
>University of Washington

ATTENZIONE.
Il presente messaggio ed i suoi allegati devono intendersi ad uso esclusivo
dei suoi destinatari e sono confidenziali. Persone diverse dal
destinatario, anche ai sensi del D.Lgs. n. 196/2003 , non debbono prendere
visione dei contenuti, copiare od inoltrare l'e-mail a terzi. Se ricevete
questo messaggio per errore, Vi preghiamo di cancellarlo, di distruggerne
ogni copia e di informarci immediatamente. La mail non è un protocollo
sicuro, pertanto IST declina ogni responsabilità in caso di intercettazione
o modifiche del presente messaggio.
WARNING.
This message and any attachments is intended solely for the use of the intended
addressees and is confidential. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution
is prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please delete it,
destroy all copies
and immediately notify us. Mail is not a secure protocol, therefore IST
will not be liable
for interception or amendment of this message.