[RASMB] protein polymer analysis

Tina Daviter t.daviter at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Jul 29 07:30:09 PDT 2014

Dear all,

I'd like some opinions on what to get out of running AUC and SEC-MALS
from samples that are protein mono/oligo/polymer mixes with different
distributions (monomer up to about 20mers). The monomer size is 52 kDa,
and samples can be prepared the polymer ladders of which look different
on native gel. Also, some species have visible double bands, suggesting
different shapes. I attach a picture. Polymers are extremely stable and
don't re-distribute upon dilution, yet, SEC does not result in separated
peaks I am told.

Questions are, for AUC,
- Can we expect peak separation in AUC?
- Can we get reliable shape information for each peak? Which model to
use for fitting, straight into c(s,ff0)?
- Would running the monomer alone help for data analysis of the polymer?
(How?)
- What speed to run at if we want to focus on, say, tetramer to decamer
size?

Regarding SEC-MALS, it's inviting as it's so much quicker, but not sure
about information content:
- Would slicing a peak in exactly the same way for different samples
still give information on the different size distributions, even though
it's averaged?
- I expect no shape information to be had?

Any input/experiences regarding this would be most welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Best wishes
Tina

--