[RASMB] Mistakes in US-SOMO reference tables

Mattia Rocco mattia.rocco at istge.it
Tue Mar 5 08:26:50 PST 2013

Dear UltraScan SOMO Users,

Peter Zipper has recently discovered some errors in the distributed version
of the somo.residue file of US-SOMO. I paste below his comments:

In my recent tests using Ultrascan 9.9 Rev. 1831 I encountered a
discrepancy between the molecular weights of RNA chains as reported by
Ultrascan and the results obtained from my programs. When I analyzed the
discrepancy in more detail I could localize its origin very soon. I
detected that in the Ultrascan file somo.residue the nucleobases are not
represented with the correct number of hydrogen atoms but are lacking
between 1 and 3 hydrogens.
In detail:
in adenine one hydrogen is missing at C2;
in cytosine one hydrogen is missing at C5 and one at C6;
in guanine one hydrogen is missing at N1 and two are missing at N2;
in uracil one hydrogen is missing at N3, C5, and C6, respectively;
in thymine one hydrogen is missing at N3 and one at C6.
I do not understand why these hydrogens are not taken into account in your
somo.residue file. But perhaps you can give me a simple explanation.

Matter of fact, Peter was absolutely correct, and I take full
responsibility for that, it was sloppy entering on my part. I apologize for
any inconvenience this might have caused, and I am grateful to Peter for
having uncovered these mistakes. I have now corrected them, and new
versions of the somo.residue and somo.atom files are made available for
downloading (see http://somo.uthscsa.edu). Beside the corrections,the new
somo.residue now contains hydroxyproline, more alternate names for
nucleotides (wish there was a strict convention on PDB atoms naming that
all software adhered to... ), Triton X-100 (with different chain lengths),
Mn and Mg ions, AMP, ATP, ATF, and explicit water of hydration (for SAXS
simulations, the structures must be hydrated using available external
programs). If you have coded for new atoms/residues using US-SOMO, you
should pick those bits from your current tables and add them to the new
tables, an operation that can be done using any text editor. However,
should anyone feel uneasy to do so, you can send me your somo.atom and
somo.residue files, and I will insert the extra residues/atoms in either
the current distribution, or, if you want to keep it private, I will email
the corrected files back to you.

Best wishes to you all, and happy hydrodynamic/SAS modeling with US-SOMO!

Mattia

Dr. Mattia Rocco
Biopolimeri e Proteomica
IRCCS Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino - IST - Istituto
Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro
c/o Centro per le Biotecnologie Avanzate (CBA)
Largo Rosanna Benzi 10
I-16132 Genova, Italy

Phone: +39-0105737-310
Fax: +39-0105737-325
e-mail: mattia.rocco at istge.it

ATTENZIONE.
Il presente messaggio ed i suoi allegati devono intendersi ad uso esclusivo
dei suoi destinatari e sono confidenziali. Persone diverse dal
destinatario, anche ai sensi del D.Lgs. n. 196/2003 , non debbono prendere
visione dei contenuti, copiare od inoltrare l'e-mail a terzi. Se ricevete
questo messaggio per errore, Vi preghiamo di cancellarlo, di distruggerne
ogni copia e di informarci immediatamente. La mail non è un protocollo
sicuro, pertanto IST declina ogni responsabilità in caso di intercettazione
o modifiche del presente messaggio.
WARNING.
This message and any attachments is intended solely for the use of the intended
addressees and is confidential. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution
is prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please delete it,
destroy all copies
and immediately notify us. Mail is not a secure protocol, therefore IST
will not be liable
for interception or amendment of this message.