[RASMB] interference optics

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Tue Jan 15 09:52:34 PST 2013

Hi-
The underlying cause of the jitter is the fact that the source and
detector are referenced mechanically to different spots on the XLI
frame, and that the thermal baseplate is flexible. The bulk of the
vertical shift comes from thermal gradients in the vicinity of the
condensing lens (at the bottom of the chamber). These gradients result
in the lens "tipping" relative to the source, and give rise to both a
vertical component and a slight 'rotational' shift to the fringes (i.e.
the vertical shift is not quite uniform across the image). The TI/RI
noise will remove most of the effects, with the 'rotational' shift not
being quite as reproducible as the purely vertical 'breathing' shift.
If you shut off the thermo-electric modules (not recommended), the bulk
of the vertical displacement is eliminated. The time constant for the
shifts is on the order of minutes.
Some years back we built a new source and condenser lens mount which
decreased the breathing motion from tenths of a fringe to hundredths of
a fringe. Kristian Schilling has built a similar mount.
Best wishes,
Tom