[RASMB] interference optics

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Jan 15 10:52:23 PST 2013

Ute, in addition to what Tom said, I think the major part of what you are
calling "jitter" is really integer fringe jumps, not the small (tenths to
hundredths of a fringe) 'breathing' shifts Tom is talking about. The fringe
jumps are perfectly normal and cannot be eliminated. The sample and
reference meniscii block the light at those positions, and thus there are no
fringes there and the fringe position is undefined. In successive scans the
data acquisition algorithms sometimes choose different integers when
crossing a meniscus, which leads to the integer shifts.

Different analysis programs handle the integer fringe jumps differently. In
SEDFIT both 'jitter' and 'fringe jumps' are lumped together as 'radially
invariant noise' (RIN), and thus the RIN values can differ by more than a
fringe from one scan to the next. Some other programs, such as SEDANAL,
SVEDBERG & DCDT+, separately determine an integer fringe shift and a
sub-integer 'jitter'.

So the bottom line is yes, for interference data it is often difficult to
discern the boundary motion in the raw data, unless the signal is many
fringes large.

John