[RASMB] Sw Isothem Fitting in SEPHAT using Fluorescence Data

Cole, James james.cole at uconn.edu
Thu May 3 17:50:21 PDT 2012

Dear David-
You can  fit binding isotherms using a variety of packages that implement nonlinear least squares. I used Kaleidagraph to fit your data  to a simple 1:1 binding model (see attached). Given that the Kd appears to be much larger than the RNA concentration, you can use the simple approximation that [RNA]free = [RNA]added. Then, the data are described by simple hypberbolic binding function. If you don't make this approximation you end up with a quadratic function that you can also fit using a nonlinear least squares algorithm.  I assume that the concentrations are in micromolars. The two fitted parameters are the sedimentation coefficient of the complex (3.5 + m1) and the Kd (m2). As you can see, the fit is pretty bad.
.
Your curve is much steeper than the fit line. This means there's something wrong with the data. You cannot have cooperativity for a 1:1 binding interaction. First, it seems strange that a very weak interaction (Kd ~ 50 uM) would be slow on the AUC timescale. We have studied many protein-RNA interactions and we've never see one in slow exchange. If it is really in slow exchange, did you wait long enough after making the samples to allow them to reach equilibrium before doing AUC?

Finally, I would suggest that you  directly analyze the velocity data using either  Sedanal, sedphat or ultrascan using a 1:1 binding model. This is the most rigorous method to characterize the system. We have found that it works very well for protein-RNA interactions using either absorbance or fluorescence data. We have described the protocol  in: Wong, C.J., Launer-Felty, K. & Cole, J.L. (2011). Analysis of PKR-RNA interactions by sedimentation velocity. Meth Enzymol 488, 59–79.

Good luck,
Jim Cole