[RASMB] Radial-dependent noise in Beckmann XL-I

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Thu Jan 26 04:59:22 PST 2012

Hi Anna-
This is a bit surprising. Can you post a couple of scans for us to look at?
It seems unlikely that thermal gradients are the cause. At 4 deg, the
density of water (or aqueous solvents) is at a maximum, and the
temperature-dependence of the density is at a minimum- that is, changes
in temperature have a minimal effect on the density. This is why a lot
of the early free-boundary electrophoresis work was done at 4 C.
What solvent are you using? Is there enough salt to create the density
gradient that will stabilize against convection?
Best wishes,
Tom