[RASMB] Radial-dependent noise in Beckmann XL-I

Antje Voelkel antje.voelkel at mpikg.mpg.de
Thu Jan 26 05:43:53 PST 2012

Dear Anna,

maybe you have a bit of oil dust condensed on the lens of the
interference optics in the chamber. You can clean it with ethanol and a
tissue. Eventually you have to repeat this two or three times. I check
if its clean with the interference optics at low speed through an empty
rotor hole. We sometimes have this problem if the measuring temperature
differs from the room temperature. Most of the time heating is worse.

Hope this helps!
Best regards
Antje

Am 26/01/2012 13:33, schrieb anna vitlin:
> Hello,
> We have a Beckmann XL-I running a An-60 Ti rotor.
> When running sedimentation velocity experiments at 4 deg. we have
> noticed protein-independent, time-independent, radial-dependent noise,
> consistently between 6.2 and 6.4 Radius.
> This phenomenon occurs using different cell assemblies, different
> wavelengths and different velocities but does not occur at 20 deg.
> Has anyone detected behavior like this and how do we troubleshoot it?
> Should we call for service?
> Thank you
> Anna Vitlin
> Tel-Aviv university

Antje Voelkel
Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces
Am Muehlenberg 1
D-14476 Potsdam
+49(0)331 567 9528/9531