[RASMB] AUC capabilities

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Thu Jan 27 10:08:23 PST 2011

Ewa, just to clarify, my response was focused on instrumental/technical
feasibility and was ignoring the problem of sample supply. I agree with
Borries that my approach requires good, high signal/noise data at
concentrations >= ~100-fold above Kd to pin down the dimer buoyant mass.
Thus you would need a couple of channels (120 microliters each) at loading
concentrations giving ~0.3 OD at 280 nm.

So that would require multiple 20 microgram preps, and unfortunately when
the yields are that low I would bet that the purity isn't too great.

Another thought is that sometimes you get lucky and the association will
change the intrinsic fluorescence, and if so that might give you a handle on
confirming the Kd with only low amounts of protein needed.

John