[RASMB] AUC capabilities

Ewa Folta-Stogniew ef55 at email.med.yale.edu
Thu Jan 27 09:48:21 PST 2011

Hi John,

thanks for your input.

Your last comment: " Finally, feasibility
depends too on the quality and stability of your protein samples. Just a
little bit of irreversible aggregate can really throw things off when you
are not able to span the desirable full range of concentrations. Gay-May had
the advantage of having pharmaceutical-grade protein."

nails my main problem... not such luck here... as I said: ~ 20 ug per
prep at best... I also was concerned about the aggregation; the
monomeric form of the protein tends to aggregate (I can see it
clearly by LS) .

Also "Clearly much also depends on just how accurately you need to
know the Kd. "  I suppose what we have is sufficient for this
project, but it would be great to have the Kd determined from two
different approaches if it was not a full research project by itself...

What I did was simple "service for fee" from a core lab that I pushed
a bit beyond routine recommendations... the first sample I got was 5
ug of protein to test what we can do by SEC/LS.

Ewa