[RASMB] AUC capabilities

Leech, AP andrew.leech at york.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 05:16:36 PST 2011

Hi All,

Eva, if you put all 50 ug into 120 uL for an equilibrium experiment,
this would be ~0.4 mg/ml, or 7 uM, giving an approx absorbance of
0.4 at 280 nm. If your Kd is right, this would practically all be
dimer. To get down to sub-Kd concentrations, as Borries says, the
absorbances would be impractically low.

If you put it all into 400 uL for a velocity experiment, the initial
concentration would be 0.125 mg/ml, 2.1 uM, absorbance ~0.13 at 280nm.
This is well above the Kd also, I will leave someone with more
experience to say if dissociation would affect the boundary detectably,
I suspect not.

It might be worth considering SPR. If you can attach one monomer to
the chip surface without compromising dimerisation (practically I think
you would attach the dimer and look for dissociation; there might be
a problem with both halves of the dimer attaching), then wait for
dissociation and flow various concentrations over the surface. The
amounts are more in the ball park for what you have (say 10 ug for
immobilisation and a few ug for each trial of free protein) though
it's still not a lot! and you need to allow for control experiments
for non-specific binding etc.

Best regards,

Andrew