[RASMB] density matching ASB-14

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Jan 6 08:21:22 PST 2010

> Dear All,
>
> I will have to run an SV experiment in the presence of the detergent
> ASB-14 at 0.5%. It is a solid and I wondered if anyone has any
> information on the density of it in solution so I can do density
> matching? Or is it not that easy in this case?
>
> The aim of the experiment is to get the oligomeric state of a membrane
> protein.
>
> If the density is unavailable, any suggestion on how to most easily
> approach the problem would be highly welcome. I fear to determine the
> density by running ASB-14 in H20/D20 mixes might fail as it does not
> seem to absorb much at any wavelength (is interference sensitive enough?).
>
> Also, I have not entirely understood how to account for the influence
> detergents have on the viscosity. I should be able to organise access to
> an Anton-Paar densitometer, but I don't think there is a viscosimeter
> that I could use.
>
> Is SE inavoidable?
>
> For more information on the detergent, if that helps, here is the full
> name and link to Sigma:
> Amidosulfobetaine-14,3-[N,N-Dimethyl(3-myristoylaminopropyl)ammonio]propanesulfonate.
> http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?D7=0&N5=SEARCH_CONCAT_PNO|BRAND_KEY&N4=A1346|SIGMA&N25=0&QS=ON&F=SPEC
>
> Literature recommendations (preferably overviews and experimental
> methods) are also welcome.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Regards
> Tina

Hi Tina,

there is a nice discussion on the study of membrane proteins by
sedimentation equilibrium in Current Protocols in Protein
Sciences by Karen Fleming that may prove helpful. See:

Karen G. Fleming, Determination of Membrane Protein Molecular Weight
Using Sedimentation Equilibrium Analytical Ultracentrifugation.
2008 (53)7.12

Sorry, I don't have any info on the properties of ABS-14.

-b.