[RASMB] AUC question

Leslie T Alessandri leslie.alessandri at abbott.com
Fri Nov 19 06:09:56 PST 2010

Hi all,

I am running sedimentation velocity experiments on an IgG that is ~201kDa
in size.

Previous analysis was performed in triplicate in 15 mM histidine pH 5.2
and using Sedfit the MWs were calculated to be ~183kDa. Much lower than
expected. The thought was that possibly solution non-ideology was in play
and that if the samples were in 1X PBS the MW calculations would improve.
Frictional coefficients were ~1.54 and were floated in Sedfit.

This week I have performed the experiment again in triplicate in 1X PBS
and I get the same values for the MW ~183 kDa. Playing around with the
data, I found that if I set the f/f0 to ~1.63 or so and do not float it,
my MW values come up to a more expected result of around ~200 kDa.

Is it good practice to NOT float the f/f0 and set the value? Would there
be good scientific rational for that? I was taught that the f/f0 should
always be floated.

Best regards,
Leslie

Leslie T Alessandri
Scientist
Process Sciences, Protein Analytics
Abbott Bioresearch Center
100 Research Drive
Worcester, MA 01605
Office 508-688-3478
FAX 508-793-4885
leslie.alessandri at abbott.com

This communication may contain information that is proprietary,
confidential, or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, please note that any other dissemination, distribution, use or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Anyone who receives
this message in error should notify the sender immediately by telephone or
by return e-mail and delete it from his or her computer.