[RASMB] Photomultiplier tube disturbances?

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Oct 12 16:33:50 PDT 2010

Troy, have you read the past RASMB discussions of problems arising from
trying to run samples in the reference channel? Remember that the instrument
is designed to scale the photomultiplier voltage and the programmable gain
amplifier based on the intensity it sees at 6.5 cm before it starts each
radial scan.

It seems to me you are seeing exactly what has been discussed previously:
when the DNA boundary in the reference channel sediments to near 6.5 cm, the
instrument is readjusting the PMT voltage and/or the PGA gain, and this
produces a break in the pseudo-absorbance data for both channels of that
cell. Basically pseudo-absorbance only works correctly if the instrument
ends up not changing the PMT voltage or PGA setting for that cell at all
during the run; if the instrument decides it needs to do so, either because
something is sedimenting in the reference, or just because the lamp
intensity is drifting for some reason, you are screwed.

Whenever you run in pseudo-absorbance mode you are asking the instrument to
do something it wasn't ever intended to do. When the OD in the reference
channel is quite low it usually works okay, but you are risking getting low
quality or un-interpretable data. You also put yourself in a position where
you can't complain to Beckman that something is wrong.

I don't know if Tom Laue's AOS operating software can get into the machine
internals and modify this re-scaling behavior. I tend to doubt it, but if it
could that would help tremendously when running in pseudo-absorbance mode.

As Borries said, probably the only way to get around this issue is to lower
the OD in the reference channel, or just run in normal absorbance mode with
buffer in the reference.

John