[RASMB] Photomultiplier tube disturbances?

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Oct 12 13:51:27 PDT 2010

Troy,

Do you notice any sudden drops/changes in the intensity over the course of
the experiment? When you pick the reference and plot the intensity plot over
the course of the experiment, is that intensity vs. scan number plot
relatively constant, or are there jumps in the intensity of more than 5% from
scan to scan? It would be helpful if you could send that plot along.

The only other thing I can think of is that one of your references that contains
sample has an absorbance that together with the DNA absorbance puts you
over the allowed maximum OD in the reference cell. In that case, run all
samples against water and see if the problem disappears. Having too high
OD in one of the reference cells will change the gain setting on the PM tube
and give the kinds of changes in data scaling we seem to have here.

While that problem is easily correctable by using a lower OD or water in
the reference, the former is more difficult to eliminate. If you have
non-constant (relative) intensity with big jumps in the intensity over time,
you need to call service and have the machine repaired. The intensity
should not change much over the course of the experiment.

There are two ways to fit this data:
The best approach would be to separate the scans into separate runs and
fit them separately, since they may be scaled differently. If this is
just a constant offset (it doesn't appear that way from your magnified
scan image), then you could also try to fit the different as time-invariant noise.

-Borries