[RASMB] two technical questions

jpsumida jpsumida at u.washington.edu
Fri Jul 23 16:47:06 PDT 2010

Hi RASMB,

1) I'm working with an XLI spinning an 8hole rotor fully loaded with 8 cells running the instrument at 40krpm.  It takes the instrument 20 scans to reach top speed.  This was determined by taking omega from omega-squared t, which I took from the second line of the header of each absorbance scan file.  I'm not sure if this is the normal behavior of this instrument and it seems to me a fairly long period of time to wait for the instrument to come to speed. As I see a number of posts which note that software such as UltraScan correct data collected during the early part of a scan for acceleration effects, perhaps this is entirely normal behavior and not worth worrying about?

2) If one performs a wavelength scan with the instrument in absorbance mode, using a step size of 1nm increments, should one expect to observe in the data file absorbance data at 1nm increments?  If one observes wavelength steps that vary +/- 4nm, could this be a problem?

Thank you in advance for any comments you may wish to share, they are much appreciated.

John Sumida