[RASMB] questions from a membrane newbie

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Sun Mar 28 08:58:23 PDT 2010

Hi Chad-
  Optical reasons underly the caution/prohibition against using IF
optics with detergent-containing solutions. The IF optics are sensitive,
to the 6th decimal place, to the difference in refractive index between
sample and solution. Since every component in the solution contributes
to the refractive index (not entirely equally, but significantly), very
small mismatches in concentrations will result in an inaccurate
assumption that the observed fringe displacement is entirely due to the
protein. While it is also essential to dialyze samples for thermodynamic
reasons, the error incurred in small unless one is trying to extract
nonideality information (when it can confound interpretation).
  In your case, you may have dialyzed your sample (C8E5 is a dialyzable
detergent), in which case IF will be fine. Also, you carefully matched
the buoyancy of the detergent with the solvent. So long as the vbar of
the detergent is insensitive to detergent concentration (which amounts
to assuming the detergent monomer and detergent micelle have the same
vbar), there will be little or no contribution to the IF signal since
there is no detergent gradient. If you did not dialyze the sample, then
you must have had a very well matched buoyancy and got lucky.
Best wishes,
Tom