[RASMB] determination of phage particle concentration

John Champagne john.champagne at wyatt.com
Mon Mar 8 08:01:02 PST 2010

Keep in mind that this reference also shows that measuring self association
using turbidity is sensitive to lateral association of your complex rather than
linear association.  So you might have a linear association, and turbidity will
completely underestimate it!

 > Another paper where the wavelength dependence of turbidity is discussed:
Moody, et al. Biophys J. 1996 October; 71(4): 2012–2021.

Timothy Dafforn wrote:
> Hi Glen,
> You are absolutely correct.
> Mathematical fitting of wavelength dependent scattering and then subtracting
it from the data still remains an essential method in CD. Particularly as in
the Far UV the scattering distortion is very bad (if only we could all use
infrared!)
> We have published such a method as have others.
>
> It is also clear that it doesn't always obey the 4th power rule.
>
> This method does have the potential to produce very accurate estimates of
macromolecular concentration and certainly shouldn't be discounted..

Of Glen Ramsay [glen at avivbiomedical.com]
> Sent: 08 March 2010 14:08
> To: Steve Harding; rasmb at server1.bbri.org
> Subject: Re: [RASMB] determination of phage particle concentration
>
> Greetings RASMB:
>
> The scattering increases as the fourth power of the inverse wavelength.
Years ago Aviv's spectrophotometer had a function that would fit the baselines
before and after an absorbance peak to subtract the scattering portion.

> However, I cringe at the idea of making analytical measurements of particles
via absorbance.  Absorbance of a photo can happen only once. Scattering can
happen more than once, sending a photon back into the detector's view.  The
detectors of different instruments view different collection angles of the
sample, so the amount of scattered light is going to vary depending on the
instrument design.  Reflections of scattered light off the surroundings can
send photons back onto the detector. In one custom instrument Aviv mounted the
detector on a rail, and apertures were mounted on both the sample's exit and
detector's entrance, to control the light collection angle.  And of course the
size of the particle affects the amount of light scattering.

> Measure scattering with absorbance with both eyes and mind open, because the
instrument is not being used as intended.

> Glen
>

> At 09:44 AM 3/5/2010, Steve Harding wrote:
>
> Dear Sabine
> Simple turbidity measurements (making sure you are away from absorption
maxima) using a good quality spectrophotometer may suffice for the sort of
information you are after - particle concentration, although stricvtly speaking
it is not a hydrodynamic method..  This is is the usual method for measuring
concentrations (particles per ml) of very large assemblies such as spores and I
think it works for smaller assemblies that are not too dilute..
> Victor Bloomfield's group did quite a bit on the turbidity of phages in the
late 70's and gave the relevant formulae (you may need the approx  mol. wt
value) - if you look up Bahls and Bloomfield (and not Victor's QLS papers) that
should give you a lead!
> All best
> Steve Harding
>
> http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ncmh
>

>> Dear all,
>>
>> we are trying to obtain the concentration of bacteriophages in a
>> solution, concentration meaning the number of particles per ml. The
>> solution is supposed to be monodisperse and the MW is (roughly) known
>> but could be determined exactly. Is the any idea of how to do this
>> with a hydrodynamic method (staining is difficult to compare between
>> phage mutants and counting infected cells is tedious). I`ve got the
>> "feeling" that one could use the number-averaged MW, but maybe this is
>> totally wrong.
>>
>> Thank you for any hints, literature is also welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Sabine
>>

>> Sabine Kaltofen
>> PhD student
>>
>> Universität Potsdam
>> Department of Physical Biochemistry
>> Institute of Biochemistry and Biology
>> Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 24-25, Haus 25, Raum B/0.05
>> D-14476 Potsdam-Golm
>> Telefon: +49-(331)-977-5245
>> Email: kaltofen at uni-potsdam.de

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system: you
are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the

>    Glen Ramsay, Ph.D.
>    Chief Scientist
>    Aviv Biomedical, Inc.
>    750 Vassar Avenue, Suite #2
>    Lakewood, NJ 08701
>    (732) 370-1300, Ext. 25
>    (732) 370-1303, FAX
>    glen at avivbiomedical.com
>    www.avivbiomedical.com
> <http://www.avivbiomedical.com/>   Skype: GlenAtAviv

which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material,
the disclosure of which is governed by applicable law. Any review,
reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error please contact the
sender and destroy the materials contained in this message.

University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH 03824-3544
Phone: 603-862-2459
FAX:   603-862-0031
E-mail: Tom.Laue at unh.edu
www.bitc.unh.edu
www.camis.unh.edu

<

==============================
John Champagne
Senior Applications Scientist\Northeast Regional Manager
Wyatt Technology Corporation
18 Commerce Way
Suite 1850
Woburn, MA 01801
Tel. (805)681-9009 x212
Fax (805)681-0123

E-mail: jchampagne at wyatt.com

information of Wyatt Technology
that may be confidential, proprietary, copyrighted, privileged and/or protected
work product, and is
meant solely for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
and have received this
message in error, please contact the sender immediately, permanently delete the
original and any copies
of this email and any attachments thereto.