[RASMB] determination of phage particle concentration

John Correia jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
Mon Mar 8 07:29:51 PST 2010

Berkowitz and Day Biochemistry 1980  19, 2696-2702.  Turbidity
Measurements in an Analytical Ultracentrifuge:  Determinations of Mass
per Length for Filamentous Viruses fd, Xf and Pf3.  Combines scattering
and interference measurements in a Model E.  Can it be done in an XLI is
the question.

>>> On 3/8/2010 at 8:08 AM, in message
<20100308141543.BE7051742AF at rasmb.bbri.org>, Glen Ramsay
<glen at avivbiomedical.com> wrote:
Greetings RASMB:

The scattering increases as the fourth power of the inverse wavelength.
 Years ago Aviv's spectrophotometer had a function that would fit the
baselines before and after an absorbance peak to subtract the scattering
portion.

However, I cringe at the idea of making analytical measurements of
particles via absorbance.  Absorbance of a photo can happen only once.
Scattering can happen more than once, sending a photon back into the
detector's view.  The detectors of different instruments view different
collection angles of the sample, so the amount of scattered light is
going to vary depending on the instrument design.  Reflections of
scattered light off the surroundings can send photons back onto the
detector. In one custom instrument Aviv mounted the detector on a rail,
and apertures were mounted on both the sample's exit and detector's
entrance, to control the light collection angle.  And of course the size
of the particle affects the amount of light scattering.

Measure scattering with absorbance with both eyes and mind open,
because the instrument is not being used as intended.

Glen