[RASMB] determination of phage particle concentration

Timothy Dafforn t.r.dafforn at bham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 8 06:17:33 PST 2010

Hi Glen,
You are absolutely correct.
Mathematical fitting of wavelength dependent scattering and then subtracting it from the data still remains an essential method in CD. Particularly as in the Far UV the scattering distortion is very bad (if only we could all use infrared!)
We have published such a method as have others.

It is also clear that it doesn't always obey the 4th power rule.

This method does have the potential to produce very accurate estimates of macromolecular concentration and certainly shouldn't be discounted..
Cheers
Tim

PS how is Jack?