[RASMB] determination of phage particle concentration

Fumio Arisaka farisaka at bio.titech.ac.jp
Thu Mar 4 17:23:48 PST 2010

Hi, Sabine,

You may be interested in taking a look at the following papers.
The first one contains the table of extinction coefficients of
phage T4, T5 and T7 at 260 nm.

Frank C. Bancroft and David Freifelder
Molecular Weights of Coliphages and Coliphage DNA
I. Measurement of the Molecular Weight of Bacteriophage T7 by High-
speed Equilibrium Centrifugation
J.Mol.Biol. (1970) 54:537-546.

Stuart B. Dubin and George B. Benedek
Molecular Weights of Coliphages and Coliphage DNA
II. Measurement of Diffusion Coefficients Using Optical Mixing
Spectroscopy, and Measurement of Sedimentation Coefficients
J.Mol.Biol. (1970) 54:547-556.

D. Lang
Molecular Weights of Coliphages and Coliphage DNA
III. Coutour Length and Molecular Weight of DNA from Bacteriophages
T4, T5 and T7, and from Bovine Papilloma Virus
J.Mol.Biol. (1970) 54:557-565.

David Freifelder
Molecular Weights of Coliphages and Coliphage DNA
IV. Molecular Weights of DNA from Bacteriophages T4, T5 and T7 and
General Problem of Determination of M
J.Mol.Biol. (1970) 54:567-577.

As John and other people pointed out, the extinction coefficients of phages
are dominated by that of DNA and also contain scattering.

Good luck ! Fumio Arisaka

kaltofen at uni-potsdam.de さんは書きました: