[RASMB] Free-solution, label-free characterization of macromolecular interactions by dynamic light scattering

Amy Hanlon ahanlon at wyatt.com
Fri Jan 22 11:09:47 PST 2010

Hello-

Although this mailing group has an AUC focus,  perhaps some among you are interested in expanding your arsenal of techniques...

We at Wyatt Technology have developed an in vitro method, concentration gradient dynamic light scattering, which enables quantitative characterization of macromolecular interactions.   Experiments can take several hours, and, depending on the protein size, require only femtomoles of sample.
The technique is detailed in our paper, "Free-solution, label-free protein protein interactions characterized by dynamic light scattering."  The paper was published in the January 20, 2010 issue of Biophysical Journal (http://www.cell.com/biophysj/), and featured on the journal cover.

Although dynamic light scattering has been used extensively to characterize macromolecules since the 1970s, historically it has not been a practical technique for quantification of macromolecular interactions.  We believe that the developments discussed in our paper, including the orthogonal use of static light scattering, will have a profound impact, and that this impact will extend beyond conventional light scattering users to all those interested in accurate characterization of macromolecular interactions.

Perhaps this technique would be beneficial for you.  Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Amy Hanlon

Amy Hanlon
Research and Development
Wyatt Technology Corporation