[RASMB] rigorous solvent condition

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Jan 4 08:44:50 PST 2010

> Hi Zhenli
> Of the top of my head, I believe they are both suitable with the
> epon-charcoal center pieces. However I suggest you check the website
> of Ultrascan/CAUMA run by Borries - I think they have a solid list of
> all the chemicals/solvents and their suitability to different
> centerpieces.
>
> On another matter, and a question to other RASMBer's, can 5% urea (~
> 0.8M) give rise to a gradient in a SV run?
>
> Mitra

Mitra and Zhenli,
here is the website with various pointers to resources related to AUC:

http://uslims.uthscsa.edu/cauma/resources.php

Look for the chemical compatibility tables in the left bar.

Regarding gradient formation, this is dependent on speed. At low speed,
small molecular weight compounds like urea will not form appreciable
gradients at this concentration, but the higher you go, the bigger the
potential problem. The easiest way to determine how much of a gradient
is formed is to run the compound at the desired speed and concentration
in an XLI against water and measure the actual gradient. A simulation
should also give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

-Borries