[RASMB] Re: peculiar leakage problem!

Leech, AP apl3 at york.ac.uk
Mon Jun 15 09:26:15 PDT 2009

Hi Sumit,

If I am worried about the surface of the centrepiece, I put a window
on top of it (not assembled in the cell), and I can see the fringe
patterns, which should be even and not distorted. This is effectively
checking the flatness of the centrepiece surface with the window as
a standard. We have some old centrepieces where you can't see a fringe
pattern at all, and these are really prone to leaking.

I assemble the cells and tighten by hand initially, and if I can't see
a fringe pattern under the window I disassemble and check for dust and
fibres. Then I tighten up with the torque wrench and the window to
centrepiece contact area should go black - then check for fibres and
dust again which sometimes show up at this point.

If your filling hole gaskets and screws are not good and you put the
rotor under vacuum without spinning, liquid will come out of the cells.
I know there are reasons not to, but I prefer to spin the rotor at low
rpm at least until I'm happy the cells aren't leaking - the spin keeps
the liquid away from the fill holes and it is easy to see the meniscus
moving if it is a bad leak. The live display on the interference optics
is very useful for checking this, but single scans in absorbance
(collect in intensity mode) will do.

Check your cells carefully when you disassemble them and clean off any
salt etc as it is rather corrosive to the aluminium and may make it
difficult to get centrepieces or filling hole screws in place, which
will not help with getting a good seal.

Hope this is useful,

Andrew