[RASMB] cell leakage

Ariel Lustig ariel.lustig at bluewin.ch
Sun Jun 14 08:24:17 PDT 2009

Dear  Sumit, dear all,
John Philo seems,  addressed the right problemes of cell leaking !! 1) Since I use partly double-
sector centerpieces of the age over 30 years, they are some  reasons that a cell may leak at several rotor speeds, even  at zero rpm (waiting  for  vacuum before run-start.) In principle I  put  2 housing-
plug-gaskets even  at new  centerpieces. For older  centerpiece I put about  5  housing-plug-gaskets
so that the housing plug (small screw that we  called  5 $ screw once they cost)) presses tight the (self cutted ) gasket and prevent liquids to escape (zero rpm) even in such low amount  that you
don't see it on the  vacuum indicator! ( sure the  force should be limited, if not  the  cell swell so you will get difficulties install the cell in to the rotor hole). 2) In most cases I use  Sapphire  Windows,
since you can tourqe the cell a bit  tighter  then quarz ones. (Older  centerpieces are not total flat,
so you  flatten them a bit  better). An additional reason is at highspeed  SV speeds, that in case  of on sector leaking that causes high  pressure, the middle wall breaks and then usually the  quarz window also  breaks...3).I use  in case of  runs  not over  30000 rpm  !! usually SE runs
double-sector-centerpiece - gaskets, (it is  quite  hard to install them and they are very expensive)
those used in  alum/metal DS'tors, but it is possible also if  you  find the  trick to do it, so you  prevent  leakages ( as also John menthioned) between  the  sectors with all his  consequences.
yours ariel
ariel.lustig at bluewin.ch