[RASMB] UltraScan AccessGrid seminar tomorrow (Nov. 5th)

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Nov 4 10:09:15 PST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to announce the next UltraScan AccessGrid seminar which
will take place tomorrow, Thursday, November 5th, from 11 am - 12:30 pm
Central Time in the UTHSCSA UltraScan AccessGrid venue (England time:
5 pm, Central Europe: 6 pm).

This seminar will be presented by Dr. Titus Franzmann, who will report
on his solution studies of a pH dependent acid-stress chaperone pp8.

Abstract of tomorrow's talk:

    Most molecular chaperones are either ATP dependent or rely heavily
    on their ATP-dependent chaperone counterparts in order to promote
    protein folding.  This presents a challenge to chaperones that are
    localized to ATP-deficient cellular compartments. The pH-regulated
    acid stress chaperone pp8 is capable of independently facilitating
    the refolding of acid-denatured proteins in the bacterial periplasm,
    which lacks both ATP and ATP-dependent chaperone machines. We used
    FRET, fluorescence anisotropy and analytical ultracentrifugation to
    analyze the details of chaperone-activation, substrate binding and the
    release mechanism explored by pp8. Consistent with our data pp8 stably
    binds substrates at low pH, thereby preventing their irreversible
    aggregation. pH neutralization subsequently triggers the release of
    substrate proteins from pp8, keeping the concentration of aggregation
    sensitive intermediates below the threshold where they begin to
    aggregate. This provides a straightforward and ATP-independent
    mechanism that allows pp8 to facilitate protein refolding.
    Unlike previously characterized chaperones, pp8 facilitates protein
    folding using a single substrate binding-release cycle. This cycle
    is entirely regulated by the external environment and is therefore
    energy-neutral for the bacteria.

If this is your first time connecting to the UltraScan AccessGrid seminar
I strongly recommend that you test out your connection with Jeremy Mann
(jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu) 1-2 days prior to the meeting.

See you Thursday, -Borries

P.S. apologies if you received multiple copies of this message since it was
posted to multiple mailing lists.

PLEASE NOTE:

The UltraScan seminar is broadcast over the AccessGrid. In order to
participate you will need to have AccessGrid 3.0.2 or higher installed
on your computer. If you are not on a multicast network (most likely
you will not have this capability), you need to connect via unicast,
and you will need to use a unicast/multicast bridge to communicate
(Tools:Bridges in the Venueclient menu). You can use the following
MC-bridges to connect to our venueserver: Argonne, NCSA and the UTHSCSA
bridge. Participants are strongly encouraged to test their connections
one or two days in advance with Jeremy Mann (jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu)

Additional information and links to free AccessGrid software can be
found at:

http://www.accessgrid.uthscsa.edu

Instructions for installing it on Windows or Linux is available at:

http://accessgrid.uthscsa.edu/wiki/doku.php

The seminar will take place in the UltraScan room in the 3.1 venue server
of the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. The
venue address for the UTHSCSA Lobby is:

https://ag1.v19.uthscsa.edu:9000/Venues/default (AccessGrid 3.x)

There will be a 1 hour testing time - 10-11 am central time.  Please
contact Jeremy Mann at jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu or 210-567-2672 for
assistance. I recommend to test out your AccessGrid connection one or
two days in advance of the meeting if you have never set it up before.