[RASMB] SE of Memb. prot.

Ariel Lustig ariel.lustig at bluewin.ch
Tue Nov 3 00:53:34 PST 2009

Dear  John  Doran and Colleagues,
concerning  your  membrane protein mail, the reader can hardly judge if he don't know the  density of the
detergent ( or 1/ density  =Vbar) you  used to make the detergent gravitational transparet.If you  used  D2O
or  D218O, (lower then  the  highest  concentration of  both  mentionated) it seems that you  can use Tanfords
 mode (Ref. 1 of the attached  paper), and  I don't see why  it shoud't functionate!.
The  Probleme is different if you use  a densifier like  p. E. sucrose, because in such case the preferential solvation, what means ,water between the 1)protein and 2)the detergent, both will achieve a too low  density value of the  complex.We calculate see  Abstract about  + / - 15% error of the  Mw.
I attached a BBA 1462 (2000) paper from where  you can achieve more information.
yours  ariel
ariel.lustig at bluewin.ch