[RASMB] newbie to ultracentrifugation

odonnell at chem.fsu.edu odonnell at chem.fsu.edu
Wed Sep 16 09:08:34 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm new to the technique of ultracentrifugation and would like to use
it as a troubleshooting step to purify my sample. I was hoping someone
could direct me to a good source for introductory
information/principles.

To the reader who has generous time for advice:

Specifically, i am trying to purify a large marcromolecular complex
from background proteins and possibly different complex types. This
yields a range of molecular weights species that can be separated. The
desired complex requires a high salt concentration ~700 mM KOAc for
formation  so stability issues arise with varying ionic strengths. So
i'm thinking a CsCl gradient is an inferior approach to a sucrose
gradient??? So far i've done some practice runs (without any sample)
of step sucrose gradients from 0-60% sucrose at 10% and 15% increments
at 25K RPM on a SW28 rotor ("slow" accell and decel profiles)  with
mild success at observing the density fractions after the spin.
Various questions that i'm  trying to find a good source to help
answer (besides RASMB!) are below:

Is the high salt (700m KOAc) is a problem for my density centrifugation?
Is there an upper limit to the speed that I can spin (besides a limit
imposed by rotor specs)?
Is there a formula that helps derive the required density range to
crate in the graient for separating a particular molecular weight
species.

Obviously, any advice is  greatly appreciated!!

-Jason

believed to be clean.