[RASMB] "wavy" interference optics residuals

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Mon Jul 20 07:13:13 PDT 2009

Hi Debbie-
Sorry for the delayed response, but I just returned from meetings.
One possible cause for your observations is if the image is overexposed
(dark dark and bright white fringes). If the fringe images are of
too-high contrast, then the Fourier transform will oscillate around the
correct fringe displacement rather than track it exactly. The tell-tale
for this problem is if the periodicity of the oscillations is a multiple
(1, 2, 3...) of the fringe displacement (e.g. do the oscillations
increase in frequency in regions with steep gradients).
The fringe image should look sort of "washed out" by eye, while
maintaining a good image of the fringes. Jeff Lary
(jeffrey.lary at uconn.edu) at UConn has a very nice tutorial on how to set
the exposure for the interferometer.
Best wishes,
Tom