[RASMB] Re: peculiar leakage problem!

sumit goswami ikant11 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 08:25:10 PDT 2009

For sure I put the cell inside the rotor with the holes facing towards the
axis of rotation. But I am not exactly sure if the leakage occured through
the feeling hole or between the centerpiece and windows. I have seen spots
of dried sample on the ouside surface of windows but I don't remember seeing
any circular line at the wall of the centrifuge chamber. I have seen marks
of leaked sample at the bottom of the rotor where it supports the cell. So
in my understanding it is very likely that the leakage has occured between
the windows and the centerprice. One thing I must have to say is that our
centerpices are old and they might have some scratches or damages that are
not clearly visible through naked eyes. As Dr. Philo mentioned it might be
that in presence of protein the surface tension of the sample became low
enough to leak through the defects of the centeriece