[RASMB] SAUCE - x-ray optics for the AUC

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 17 04:33:46 PDT 2009

Just a general thought, colleagues - which maybe has been considered
already. But am I correct in thinking that to get multiple species resolved
into a form sufficiently 'pure' for SAXS analysis you would be using 'zonal'
separation i.e. band-forming cells?

Although few folks seem to actually use this approach in a conventional AUC,
tit does in fact work well, as does the SEDFIT software for analysis of
same. You need to avoid working with low MW solutes, of course. Do I guess
that the Spin Analytical CFA instrument could handle it all OK?

Arthur

--
*************************
Arthur Rowe

Dear RASMB Colleagues,

We have been invited to submit a full bid to the UK Science and
Technologies Facilities Council (STFC) to fund SAUCE - a hybrid
instrument in which an AUC (the Spin Analytical Centrifugal Fluid
Analyser (CFA)) is introduced into the I22 small angle x-ray
scattering (SAXS) beamline at the UK Diamond synchrotron.

SAUCE will offer the following advantages to the user:

1. Aggregates will be cleared from the sample in situ; scattering
data will be of a higher quality.

2. AUC modality will permit the separation or significant enrichment
of species in an interacting system; scattering curves (and thence
molecular envelopes) will be determined for the individual species.

3. It will be possible to acquire AUC and SAXS data simultaneously.

We are writing to you now to ask if you would be interested in using
SAUCE and would accordingly agree to being included in the list of
beneficiaries?

If so, please reply to this e-mail by return (and certainly before 24
March).

Many thanks and best wishes,

Olwyn Byron (University of Glasgow, UK)
Tom Laue (University of New Hampshire, US)
Nick Terrill (Diamond Synchrotron, UK)