[RASMB] AUC of protein formulation

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Nov 3 06:54:52 PST 2008

Hi John

This is an area where I do quite a bit of work, as you may guess. My first
thought is "why do you need to know the solvent parameters, given that what
you are looking for is simply degree of oligomerisation?". The lack of such
knowledge may indeed slightly mess up the absolute values in a c(M) profile,
but given that you almost certainly know the formula weight of your
monomeric product, who cares? What you get will surely be good enough to say
"that peak is the monomer!"

However, a second thought comes to mind, again based upon experience, when I
see that you have "surface-active excipients" present. These may well form
micellar structures in solution, into which the proteins monomers etc are
incorporated. But then again, the amount of such excipients added may be
minimal, and below the CMC (critical micelle concentration). There are ways
of handling such systems, and I have recently published some novel
approaches which might be applicable in your case. I will happily enlarge on
this topic if it seems relevant to your system.

Kind regards

Arthur

Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology