[RASMB] upper concentration limit AUC

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Sep 1 06:40:08 PDT 2008

Hi Joris,

How high you can go before you will have to model concentration
dependent nonideality will depend on your protein (charge, anisotropy),
the buffer, speed and the type of experiment you will run. In general,
because of the absence of flow, equilibrium experiments are not as much
affected by hydrodynamic non-ideality as velocity experiments.
One thing to be aware of is that both XLI and XLA, but especially
XLI can be subject to refractive problems when the gradients become
too steep. For high concentration measurements I would definitely recommend
investing in 3 mm centerpieces. Check RASMB archives on messages about
Wiener Skewing if you plan to measure with interference. If so, make sure
your optics are focussed on the 2/3 plane.

Regards, -Borries